Friday, April 6, 2012

Ultimate Spider-Man Premiere Comic #1 Review







































If you've been following comic news you know a new Spider-Man cartoon started last Sunday. I have yet to see it, and I might not see it anytime soon because I do not have Disney XD. Also from what I have seen I'm not that interested. So far the previous cartoon, Spectacular Spider-Man looks better. But to be fair I'll have to wait until I watch it before I judge it. However I do have to say the new opening is not as good as Spectaculars. But that's not really a fair judgement since the Spectacular opening would have been hard to top. Anyway to advertise there new show marvel has released a comic, so let's check that out while I wait to see the show.

The comic opens with J. Jonah Jameson ranting about how much a menace Spider-man is on a big TV screen in the middle of New York. Apparently in this new show isn't just a newspaper but also TV station. We see Spider-Man swinging around town narrating about how different he is from all the other teenagers. He notices a police truck about to slam into a store, and stops it.















It turns out it was a ploy by a villain called Trapster. They fight for a bit, but Spider-man wins by using his web to cover the hole of the gun Trapster was firing. When Spidey is about to leave he is greeted by Nick Fury, who asks him if he wants to join S.H.I.E.L.D. in order to be a better hero. Spidey refuses his offer, and swings away. He get's to his school, and he is runs into Mary Jane who asks him why he is late. He tells her the bus broke down, and we are introduced to Harry Osborn, Flash Thompson, and Stan Lee who is the janitor at the school.

The school is attacked by three other super villains who were order by Norman Osborn to track down Spider-man. He quickly changes, and fights them until the police arrive. The three escape and Harry is hurt in the crossfire. Peter feels guilty about everything, and decides to become a part of S.H.I.E.L.D.  The comic ends with Nick Fury meeting him on the roof of S.H.I.E.L.D, and hoping he can "survive the experience."


















First off the art is great. This is mostly due to this being a screen capture comic, as in they took screen shots from the show and made a comic out of them. However even for a screen capture comic the panel layout looks natural, and well put together. The story is pretty good, and a lot is covered in 22 pages. Which I find ironic since a comic that I got for free has more story and content in it then a comic I would pay 2.99-6.99 for.

Now some problems. Spidey seems to have gotten some of Deadpool's characteristics. Such as the ability to break the fourth wall, and a bit of Pool-O-Vision. The Pool-O-Vision might be explained in the way the comic is laid out but still. Also I find this whole concept incredibly stupid for a Spider-Man show. What made Spider-Man unique was the fact that he was one of the first teenage super-heroes that didn't have a mentor teaching him how to be a hero. He had to learn from his mistakes, and because of that he developed more as a character. Anyway this is pretty good, and it's nice way to check out the series.

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment